Friday, April 20, 2007

Four Twenty

Today is April 20 otherwise known as 4-20. Pot smokers rejoice. I wondered why today is so significant to the Mary Jane friendly world so I did what any logical person would do, ask a stoner. For the sake of this entry we will call him Chong. Chong is a man in his late twenties with red eyes that I met outside of Taco Bell. His explanation for 4-20 is "Man, that's police code for marijuana possession." According to Wikipedia, Chong's definition is urban legend. So where did it come from? Again, according to Wikipedia, a group of high school students in San Rafael, California would gather at 4:20 p.m. to smoke cannabis. It caught on and now April 20th has become a sort of cult holiday.

In my Internet search of 4-20 I learned that April 20th was Adolf Hitler's birthday. It is also Joey Lawrence's birthday, whoa! Today is the eighth anniversary of the Columbine shooting. With all that considered, maybe smoking a little green stuff isn't so bad.

My advice for a happy 4-20? However you decide to spend it, don't commit genocide, murder in any form, get arrested for being stupid or shave your head and dance with the stars.

No comments: