Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What The F*#k!

Driving in the streets of Phoenix, Arizona lately has brought me to a conclusion, people can not drive in this town. Today I watched two cars waiting to make a left turn. The drivers of both cars were women on their cell phones. The woman behind the car that was first in line to make the left hand turn drove around the car in front of her and made the left hand turn almost causing three accidents, all while still talking on the cell phone.

I've been seeing this far too often lately, people making a left hand turn from the right side of the street. How far does your head need to be up your ass to pull this one? If I see another jackass not pull over for an emergency vehicle I'm going to lose it. I see people slow down as a fire engine passes but I see very few people pulling over. When I was a kid, everyone pulled over for emergency vehicles. If the ambulance, for example, was coming for you or someone you loved you'd want people to get the hell out of the way wouldn't you? Sure you would, so do your part and move over.

That brings me to road rage. If someone cuts me off and nearly kills me in the process and I get pissed off, that's road rage. I think it's a natural instinct of survival. If someone cuts me off and I pull them out of their car and rearrange their face with a baseball bat, now that's road rage.

Phoenix has a habit of taking three lane roads and shutting two lanes down. You look around to see what they might be doing and there's no crew, no hole, no dirt just barriers obstucting traffic and signs that very few bother to read telling you that you're about to become stuck in a traffic jam. Two days ago there was the typical three lanes down to two scenario on Tatum, it was raining, there was an accident and the emergency vehicles couldn't find it because traffic was backed up so far. All I can think is that more people should ride a bicycle.

No comments: