Friday, January 5, 2007

Cuz


My friend Bob Makela www.thegreatestyearofmylife.com reminded me of someone that I could write about. His name was Jim O'Kelley from Florence, Alabama. I met him while surfing the web for O'Kelley web sites. I saw a message on the message board from Jim O'Kelley and thought the name is familiar but I don't know any family with that email address, so I wrote him. He responded to my email and we became friends via the internet. He worked drug enforcement in Alabama. We talked about everything under the sun. He refered to me as his cuz although we never found out if we were blood relation. He loved his wife Gina, God, his Harley Davidson motorcycle "Thumper" and being a cop. He said the one draw back to working drug enforcement is that he could no longer smoke a little bud now and then because they test their agents for drugs. We shared a love for the old west. We were making plans of visiting Tombstone when I recieved an email from his wife telling me he died in a motorcyle accident. I was stunned. It was surreal. I wondered how this could happen. I spoke with him on the phone just a few weeks prior. The man rode that motorcyle everywhere and was a very good rider. It smelled suspicious to me. I called his wife and she too was very suspicious given his profession and the fact that he was such a good rider. I felt horrible for Gina losing her husband of so many years like that. I would never have believed in soul mates if it weren't for those two. He helped me through a lot of hard times and made me laugh out loud when reading his emails. His nickname was "outlaw" because he said he looked more like a crook than a cop. I think of things he told me and I still smile. Some people are just too good for this world. Rest in peace cuz.

No comments: