Monday, January 8, 2007

Making Plans Is The Surest Way To Hear God Laugh

Airline info and cruise tickets, check. One unstamped United States passport, check. Luggage packed and ready, check. Book, magazines and mp3 player, check. Transportation to and from the airport, check. Alarm set for 3:30 a.m., check. Waking up in time to catch the plane, oops.

I haven't had more than three days off in a row since the year 2000. I was awarded a cruise to the Caribbean from my employer and needless to say the time off to go. You have no idea how devastated I was to wake up to find that I litterally "missed the boat" on this.

I was so excited to be going to Jamacia and Grand Cayman that I couldn't fall asleep. I was looking forward to this for three months. My travel companion called me seven times to try and wake me. She decided to go on without me, I don't blame her. When she put her credit card into the machine to verify identifacation the machine "ate" her card. It was the very same card she would be using to pay her cruise account with. She didn't end up going either because she would have no way to pay for anything. Her boyfriend got back from Iraq the night before so at least she'll get to spend time with him.

Instead of sitting on a Caribbean island sipping drinks with umbrellas in them, I'm at work. Between the two problems, it seems to me that there were forces that were against us on this. I may not ever find out just exactally the cosmic reason for this. I will eventually be more at peace with it but it still stings. I really wanted to go. Perhaps it will make sence to me someday.

No comments: