Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Want My MTV?

August 1st 1981 Mtv debuted with the Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star. Mtv soon became a household name and gave rise to the expression the Mtv generation. I was 10 years old, making me part of the Mtv generation. Using that line of logic, anyone in the age range of the early thirties to the early fourties is the original Mtv generation. My question is why do I not find on any of the three so-called music channels, anything geared towards anyone over the age of nineteen?

I've heard that there is supposed to be an Mtv for my generation but it's nowhere on my basic cable service. I would really hate to shell out the extra money to find out that it's just as bad as regular Mtv. I can only imagine that the programing schedule would be full of "reality" television and Celebrity Death Match reruns.

I think Mtv should realize the potential for recapturing their original fans. The idea would be to mix the "oldies" of the eighties with music geared toward people in their thirties and fourties. I'm sure there are plenty of artists that would benefit from a mature Mtv. What ever happened to that guy that sang the song with Santana? Rob something or the other? What about that band from Seattle? Pearl Cream? Not Pearl Baily? Oh! Pearl Jam. Who knows, maybe they have a new album that very few know about.

This brings me to Beavis And Butt-Head. I've got the first season on dvd. What I didn't understand at the time was that the videos and their commentary were the best part. The stories were secondary. On the dvds they take the videos out. Bummer.

Maybe I just can't embrace the "music" of this generation. I merely believe that there are very few things more pathetic than being thirty-five and listening to Ashley Simpson or Kelly Clarkson and dressing like I'm in high school.

No comments: